Who we are and what we do
The Franco-Scottish Society of Scotland was founded in Edinburgh in 1895. It is an unincorporated association with charitable status (Scottish Charity No SC 002507). The Society maintains close links with the Association Franco-Écossaise which began life in Paris in 1896.
The Society is spread across Scotland with branches in: Aberdeen, Dumfries and Galloway, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and St Andrews.
The Council of the Society is comprised of National office-bearers elected at the Annual General Meeting from among its members and Branch representatives. It meets at least twice a year, usually in November and March.
Local Branch Committee members and Council members are all volunteers and give of their time on a non-remunerated basis.
The different Branches host the Annual General Meeting in turn.
What we want to achieve
From the outset the Society aimed to foster contacts between the French and the Scots and to develop their traditional friendship enshrined – since at least 1295 – in the Auld Alliance. Through educational, cultural and social activities, the Society continues to pursue these objectives today, believing that the development of Franco-Scottish relations in a globalised world are as important as they have ever been.
To find out more
The Society has a particularly strong record with regards to Education. Most social activities are organised by the branches but on occasion branch members meet for National Events. Supporting Cultural Events and Projects which strengthen ties between the two countries, helps raise awareness for this aspect of the Society’s work.
To obtain details of the current Branch Programmes or information about becoming a member, please look at the relevant branch pages in this website, for anything else please use the Contact Form. The National Secretary and the Branch Secretaries are happy to answer enquiries submitted by E-mail, letter or telephone.
National Office Bearers
Honorary Presidents: Lord Balfour of Burleigh, HE The French Ambassador. Sir David Edward
President: The Rt Hon Lord Brodie
Vice-President: Elizabeth Bryant
General Treasurer: Mr Gerry Toner
General Secretary: Mrs Catherine Hare