Locally, each Branch arranges its own annual programme which typically takes the form of monthly meetings from September to April or May. The meetings include talks, films, discussions, visits, music, wine-tastings, social or sporting events, soirées or French conversations. Most meetings are in French, some in English, some in a mixture of the two languages.
Nationally, the Society collaborates with bodies such as the Institut Français d’Ecosse (http://www.ifecosse.org.uk) the Alliance Française de Glasgow (http://www.afglasgow.org.uk), the Franco-British Society (http://www.francobritishsociety.org.uk) and the Scottish Universities to organise occasional public exhibitions, concerts, lectures, conferences etc.
Internationally, the Society keeps in regular contact with its sister organisation in France, the Association Franco-écossaise (http://www.franco-ecossaise.asso.fr) which is based in Paris.
Visits to and from France
These visits take place every second year and are open to members. The Scottish and the French Societies take turns in organizing the visits which last a week.
The last exchange was a visit to Poitou-Charentes from 13 – 20 June 2016 organised by the Association Franco-Ecossaise for members of the Franco-Scottish Society of Scotland. The AFE visited Scotland in 2014
The Lansdowne Fund
Began with generous gifts from the 8th Marquis of Lansdowne (1912-99), former President and Honorary President of the Society, and has been augmented with the proceeds of a recent appeal in his memory. The Fund meets the costs of the Lansdowne Prize and Lecture.
The Lansdowne Lecture
Every second year an eminent speaker is invited to talk on a theme of Franco-Scottish interest before an audience made up of members, guests and the general public. More information can be found here >>
The Lansdowne Prize
Awarded annually to the candidate who achieves the highest mark in Advanced Higher French.
The Alexander Gray Trust
Grâce au Alexander Gray Trust la Société Franco-Ecossaise d’Ecosse dispose de certaines ressources pour encourager des étudiants de lycées et d’universités écossais sélectionnés à étudier la langue et la culture françaises. Ce soutien ne peut être accordé qu’à des ceux ayant besoin d’aide pour un voyage en France, des frais de participation à un cours…..etc…
Tout étudiant souhaitant recevoir un soutien devra soumettre son projet à une branche de la FSSS et être prêt à relater ses progrès et expériences.
Thanks to the Alexander Gray Trust, the Franco-Scottish has a sum of money each year to support selected students at Scottish schools and universities in their study of French language or culture. This money can be awarded only to those needing assistance to travel to France or to help pay for a course etc. All students wishing to receive funding should apply to their nearest Franco-Scottish Society branch with details of their project and should be prepared to report back to the branch, in French if possible.
Contact details of the branches are on this website.
The 20 latest Blog Posts
- French Film Festival at the Belmont Filmhouse, Aberdeen; coming soon!
- 5th November meeting; change of Speaker
- 8th October Meeting; change of time
- Aberdeen Branch Annual Outing – May 2019
- Aberdeen May News
- Change of Programme
- Edinburgh Branch meeting: Wednesday 10th November
- Franco-Scottish Society Lecture 2018
- Visite de l’Association Franco-Ecossaise de Paris à Edimbourg et dans les Borders
- Visite de l’AFE 2018: Day 1 June 5th Arrival
- Visite de l’AFE 2018: Day 2 June 6th La vieille ville
- Visite de l’AFE 2018: Day 3 June 7th Linlithgow
- Visite de l’AFE 2018: Day 4 June 8th The Borders
- Visite de l’AFE: Day 5 June 9th la Nouvelle Ville
- Visite de l’AFE: Day 6 June 10th Lindisfarne
- Visite de l’AFE: Day 7 June 11th Museum & Rosslyn Chapel
- Visite de l’AFE: Day 8 June 12th Culross & Stirling
- Visite de l’AFE: Gala Dinner June 12th
- Visite de l’AFE: Day 9 June 13th Departure
- Aberdeen Branch; Annual Outing
- Aberdeen Branch
- About Us
- Accents for Keyboards
- Concours de la Francophonie
- Dumfries & Galloway Branch
- Edinburgh Branch
- Exchange Visit 2016
- Franco-Scottish Lecture Library
- Franco-Scottish Society of Scotland Lecture (ex Lansdowne Lecture)
- Glasgow Branch
- Inverness Branch
- Latest News from the Society
- Newsletter 2
- Perth Branch
- St Andrews Branch
- Thomas Blaikie et Manicamp